This is a light, delicate, delightful dessert which packs a beautifully fruity, tropical taste explosion.
Makes: 18 mini pavlovas
8 large egg whites
1 pinch of salt
500g caster sugar
1 scant teaspoon vanilla extract
2tsp white wine vinegar
750ml whipping cream (whipped)
1 pack Mango and Passionfruit Happy Mallows
750g mango slices
You will need 3 baking sheets, lined with parchment.
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Whisk the egg whites with the salt until they're holding firm peaks but are not stiff. Gently add in the sugar, spoonful after spoonful, still beating, until you've got a bowl full of gleaming, satiny, snowy meringue. Sprinkle the cornflour, a few drops of vanilla and the vinegar on top and fold in to combine.
3. Draw 6 circles of approximately 10cm / 4 inch circles (using a pint glass as a guide, if this helps) on each of the parchment-lined sheets.
4. Spoon the meringue onto the baking parchment into the delineated circles, and spread and smooth to fill. You want to make the meringue slightly higher at the rims, or just use the back of the spoon to make an indentation in the centre to hold the cream and fruit later.
5. Put into the oven, turn it down to 150ºC/130ºC Fan/gas mark 2/300ºF, and bake for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave them in for another 30 minutes, then take out of the oven to cool. I just transfer them, on their baking parchment, to wire racks.
6. When you want to assemble them, mix the cream, mango and mallows together and place into the indentation. Drizzle with passionfruit or mango sauce and crushed meringues